The Garden - It Begins

We've embarked upon Garden Season 2011.  We always start out very ambitious, dreaming of luscious rows of veggies.  Last year we pared down and only did a few basics.  Only the tomato and cucumber survived to give us a tiny little harvest.

We're getting bigger this year.  Or so we hope.

The plan:
Cherry Tomatoes - we have a fairly good track record with these.  Not many made it into the house last year because Colin would make a beeline for the ripe red ones and before I could get to him, into his mouth they would go.  He's promised to leave us some this year.
Cucumber - another winner.  We had fewer last year than the year before but we're good for at least a few (dozen). 
Lettuce - not a winner but we keep trying.  We can get it to grow but it always tastes bitter and we don't eat it. 
Spinach - a new entry this year.  I have no expectations so I won't be disappointed if it doesn't work.
Okra - another new try.  I hate it.  John likes it.
Summer Squash - I can't remember if we've tried this one before.  I think I would remember if we had been successful.  We discovered last summer that both the boys love squash (I hate it).
Green and Red Peppers - We had good success a couple years ago.  They never made it past the sprout stage last year.
Corn - I've given up on this one but John continues to try it year after year.  This year he's planted 3 or 4 varieties.
Casaba Melon - This one is a long shot.  We saved some seed from a melon we got in our CSA bag last summer.  It was locally grown so we know it's possible.  We'll see if it's possible for us.
Asparagus - new this year.  The package is still sitting on our kitchen counter. 

Seed starts in the kitchen window
 
Cucumber sprouts

So there you have it.  Depending on how well things go - I may become that crazy lady at church who brings sacks full of tomatoes and makes people take them home.

2 Response to "The Garden - It Begins"

  1. Anonymous Says:

    Kim, I can give you a zucchini recipe I am pretty sure you will like....chocolate zucchini cake! Let me know if you want to trade anymore garden stories, recipes. I have great luck w/leaf lettuces.

    Kay Ison (Katie's mom)

  2. Amber and Jon Says:

    I love your last line...growing up in the parsonage, we have had several sacks of veggies thrust upon us! Now that I actually want some...I haven't gotten any! Good luck growing!