Things To Smile About...

In college my roommate Christi and I had a running list of "things to smile about". Some of them were obvious, things like sunshine and rainbows. Other list items were known only to us, like Chi Chi. I can't tell you what Chi Chi is because then it would no longer be known only to us.

The list was on our refrigerator and could be added to at any time. Since then we've both moved a lot and far away from each other so the list has been lost. I don't remember most of it and wish so much that I could. It would be an interesting commentary of our college life and of how much things have changed. Christi and I resurrected the list a while back and this time I saved it. (And Christi, I hope it's okay that I share it.)

I'm now inviting you to play along. Add as many as you like. Don't think about it too much. It doesn't have to make sense...it just has to make you smile.

1. Babies dressed as animals
2. Trick-or-Treaters
3. Cream Cheese Frosting
4. Saying to a salesperson, "Can you get me a size 6?" - Wahoo!!!
5. Surprise phone calls
6. Puppy snuggles
7. High Speed Internet (I'm pretty sure this wasn't on the first list!)
8. The day after laundry day
9. Things that sparkle
10. Knowing you'll see your friends soon
11. The smell of something yummy baking
12. GIANT snowflakes
13. Going to bed with warm feet
14. Getting to sleep in until 8 or 9AM
15. Having a reason to clean (friends coming over)
16. Belly laughs from kids
17. When toddlers randomly break out in song
18. The power of kissing a youngster's owie
19. Having a comfy bed with a love(night)/hate(morning) relationship
20. Starbucks and Moxie Java
21. Thank you's for something you did, not something you gave
22. "Just because" flowers
23. A free lunch
24. The color purple (not the movie, the actual color)
25. Counting down work days before a vacation
26. Freshly vacuumed carpet
27. Clearance sales
28. Thunderstorms
29. Funny friends
30. The word "blog"

7 Response to "Things To Smile About..."

  1. Anonymous Says:

    I'm glad you kept the Chi Chi thing known only to us....still makes me smile :)
    I'm also glad you shared the joy list, I've been meaning to add to it.

  2. Anonymous Says:

    ~ a book that makes you laugh out loud
    ~ standing in the rain with your face towards the sky
    ~ hearing a little one tell you that they love you
    ~ when everything is quiet and still after the first snowfall of the season

    Jenny

  3. Anonymous Says:

    * good songs on the radio
    * Cats in tiaras
    * bowling a strike
    * getting a compliment
    * reading old journals
    ...

    Tim "oh yeah: PLAY-DOH!" James

  4. Anonymous Says:

    fluffy warm towels

    classical guitar

    starbucks java chip ice cream

    my favorite jammies

    lush green gardens or parks or forests

    james taylor

    blue skies with white billowy clouds

    every single one of my niece's blogs : )

    the name fred

    ~ aunt cindy

  5. Kimberly Ann Says:

    Okay I thought of more and could really use the "good-vibe" distraction. I don't care if I'm commenting to my own post. It's my party...er...blog and I'll do what I want.

    - blog comments (especially new ones...Hi Aunt Cindy!)
    - Daisies
    - solid puppy poop (FINALLY!)
    - witty remarks
    - flip flops
    - bendy straws
    - singers with raspy voices
    - successful surprises
    - Italy
    - Korean stir-fry day in the cafeteria

  6. Anonymous Says:

    - Agreeing on silverware.
    - Agreeing on drinking glasses.

  7. Anonymous Says:

    ~ rocking chairs
    ~ city lights
    ~ a new stamp in my passport

    jenny