Lullaby Mix

John and I have worked over the years at putting together music that our boys enjoy and we can tolerate.  There are parents far more tolerant than I am when it comes to children's music.  It's not always easy to find a compromise but I think we've done okay.

Seth and I found ourselves home alone one evening a few months ago so we worked together to create a new lullaby CD.  I created one before we brought the boys home from Ethiopia but apparently they were growing tired of it and he was ready for some fresh new bedtime tunes.

Here's what we came up with.  Enjoy!


#1 Johnny Cash - I Got a Boy and His Name is John
The boys love hearing someone "sing about daddy"

#2 Lisa Loeb - Big Rock Candy Mountain


#3 Adele - Make You Feel My Love
I understand that this is a love song and Bob Dylan likely didn't write it from the perspective of a parent.  My sentiment for this song could be a blog post all its own.  It's about a little boy trying to find his way in a new family and a mother who wants nothing more than for him to know how very much he is loved.  Listen to it again...you'll hear it too.

#4 Sara Groves - He's Always Been Faithful


#5 Gungor - Beautiful Things

#6 Sara Groves - Jesus You're Beautiful


#7 Dixie Chicks - Godspeed
There's something special about being the mom of boys.  I love the word pictures in this song. I guess I'm not the only one who sometimes finds tired superheroes on the couch.

#8 Ladysmith Black Mambazo - Amazing Grace
We had to include some sounds from the motherland. 

#9 Mindy Smith - Angel Doves


#10 James Taylor - You Can Close Your Eyes

#11 Libbie Linton - When You Wish Upon a Star


#12 Jewel - Somewhere Over the Rainbow
This is about the time when the boys should be dreaming sweetly.  There's a strategy to putting together a lullaby CD you know.

#13 Paul Jacobsen - Edelweiss
We chose this one because it's Grandma Robinson's favorite song.


#14 Mindy Gledhill - Stay Awake
Colin and I watched Mary Poppins one Sunday afternoon and I sang along to every song.  This version is so dreamy.  I dare you to stay awake to the end.  It's not easy...which is exactly the point.



#15 J.S. Bach - Orchestral Suite in D Major, No. 3 Air On a G String
J.S. and I are tight.  We just use initials when referring to one another.
  
And Finally...


#16 Brian Crain - A Walk in the Forest
Sit back, relax, and a enjoy a few moments of soothing piano music.  You know you want to.

Is anyone still awake?  Hello?  Hello? 

2 Response to "Lullaby Mix"

  1. Amber Says:

    What a great post!

    I've thought Adele's is the best cover ever of "make you feel my love" and I listened again keeping what you said in mind. Then I bawled HARD for 4 minutes and 10 seconds.

    You've inspired me to do a lullaby cd for my boys, too. Share any future mixes, please!

  2. Amber Says:

    p.s. I LOVE EDELWEISS, TOO!