My i-gig

I have a secret desire to be a singer. Not a chart topper or a grammy winner. I want to sing from a bar stool in places where the lighting is low and people listen over a cup o' joe. It would be so cool to say the phrase "I have a gig" or "you should come by the coffeeshop...we have a 7 o'clock set."

There's a few problems with my plan, the most crucial being that I can't sing. At least not well enough to be "gig" worthy. Except in the shower but that would be...well...awkward.

As some of you know, I'm never very far from my ipod. One thing I learned about myself since the purchase...I like sad songs. I don't know what it is about them. Maybe the honesty? Maybe the raw emotions?

My roommate and sister laugh at Apple's marketing strategy of putting "i" in front of their product or software names. You buy your ipod and install itunes where you can download an imix that you listen to in your car by plugging in your itrip or at home into your itower . I could go on but it's annoying enough already.

When discussing my attraction to sad songs, someone suggested I make an imix of my own. To which my sister replied, "Yeah, you can call it i-sad."

Since the chances of booking a gig in a local coffeeshop are slim. Here's the next best thing. Grab a cup of coffee (and kleenex if you're feeling especially sensitive) and check out these girls. Pretend it's me...singin' atop a barstool with shaggy haired guitar players in the background.

Anna Nalick
Wreck of the Day
Catalyst

Brandi Carlile
What Can I Say
Fall Apart Again
Throw it all Away

Mindy Smith
Raggedy Ann
Down In Flames
Hurricane

Rosie Thomas
It Don't Matter to the Sun
One More Day

If you haven't lapsed into an overwhelming state of depression...feel free to i-comment with sad song i-suggestions of your own.

1 Response to "My i-gig"

  1. Anonymous Says:

    Okay, I'll give it a whirl...

    Eric Clapton
    Tears in Heaven

    Crash Test Dummies
    At My Funeral

    Nine Inch Nails
    Hurt

    and the saddest song of all...

    Pearl Jam
    Yellowledbetter
    (When you listen to the words, I mean REALLY listen to them, you'll see what I mean.)

    Tim "no more shaggy hair" James