Single Parenting Through the Storm

Kim is out of town this week to help with family in the hospital.  This leaves me (John) in the situation of being a single parent not only to the two boys but also to Kim's increasingly large flock of chickens.  Yes, I'm calling them Kim's chickens.  The reason I'm doing that is because she is the one that decided to get 13 more of them this year. Yes, she has changed a lot in the past few years.
When I heard that there was a big storm coming through with a chance for hail, I decided that the small chickens in the mini-coop probably needed some extra protection.  They have a few sheets of tin over their heads, but I had Colin help me haul an old carpet scrap out of the barn and throw that over the middle part of their coop which is otherwise just wire.
Then we made sure the truck was parked in the garage and everything else was storm ready and we settled in for the night. 
But then the weather radio started going off.  Very loudly.
I got up and shut it off and went back to bed.
Then it went off again.
And then it went off again.
I finally unplugged it, pulled the batteries out of it, and just turned on the radio next to my bed.  I figured they would interrupt the Royals game if any tornadoes touched down.
The problem was that my AM radio station kept getting more and more static-y.  Then suddenly it sounded like our house was no longer a house, but a boat going through a waterfall.  The hail struck very quickly and very loudly on our metal roof.  I figured Kim would have moved the boys to the basement long ago, so I should go ahead and do that.
Seth woke up at the noise and came out of his room, so I just had to tell him to grab his pillow and go downstairs.  Colin did not wake up and was very groggy when I got him out of bed so I had to hold on to him so he wouldn't fall down.  Once we got to the basement Seth wrapped himself up in a blanket on the couch and I put Colin on the floor and made him a sleeping bag burrito.
 Then I went around the house looking for leaks and checking things.  I looked out the back door and I could tell through the flashes of lightning that the carpet somehow had already blown off of the chicken coop and the hail was surely going right in on the young chickens.  I thought about running out in the hail and rain to see if I could put it back in place, but thought better of it.
The next morning they were totally fine.  I assume they figured out where to go inside the coop such that the metal roof protected them.
 
Lots of storm damage to the trees, but other than that everything seems fine.
Colin did not remember the trip to the basement at all so I guess he never really woke up that whole time.  Guess he was just really surprised to wake up in a different place from where he fell asleep.


2 Response to "Single Parenting Through the Storm"

  1. Belajar disain rumah Says:

    good blog.....

  2. paola castini Says:

    Buonasera…
    per qualsiasi necessità di prestito volete contattare signora MANECCHI che la ha aiutare con 27000€ e questo senza alcune spese in anticipo poiché e chiede un buono numero di prestatore
    ecco sono indirizzo cinziamilani62@gmail.com