I Had The Blues...

This weekend was just what I needed.


I started Friday night off with an announcement to my dear husband that I was in need of a serious attitude adjustment. Nothing horrible had happened. I was just down in the dumps for no reason in particular. We had fun things planned for our weekend and I was really hoping I'd snap out of it in time to enjoy it.


We started the weekend off by going out to eat. There was a wait (as usual) and we had concert tickets for 8:30 (more on that later). We were prepared and factored the "wait time" into our plans. What we didn't prepare for was the chatty waitress. She was very nice and was just trying to make our dining experience enjoyable. But sometimes its just too much. Sometimes you just want someone who will refill your diet coke and blend into the woodwork. The restaurant was busy and time slipped away from us so we needed to get things moving along. We're not really sure how it happened but somehow the management noticed the time it was taking our waitress to get things done. They were very accommodating and comped our dinner. I'm afraid however that we really didn't deserve it. It was probably my poor attitude rubbing off and causing tension, nervousness, and therefore a flustered waitress. So perky waitress who might have just been trying to make me smile...I apologize.


We headed to the 18th & Vine for the concert. Erin Bode, who I've mentioned here before, was in town Friday night. Our friend, Thea, so generously got us tickets because she knew we were fans. We had a great time. And if listening to her while cuddled up with my husband doesn't brighten my mood...there's no hope. It did just that and we had a great time. She sang most of my favorites. Sorry Tim, no "Count your Blessings" this time. She was recently on NPR and you can hear the show here (it gives you the exact counter so you can fast forward to her clips...or listen to the whole thing if you'd like...dad!). Since my blog readers are, shall we say, multi-generational, I'll point out that this qualifies as a multi-generational music recommendation. She sings standards so beautifully and her own music is so warm and creative.


Here are a few pictures...sorry they're so blurry. Think of it as "artistic".







Here's Erin selling her CD's during intermission. I just thought it was funny. Some of you remember when music evangelists would come to your church and they'd sell their...well, audio cassettes...out of cardboard boxes in the foyer. It was just like that. I think she needs someone to do this for her. She can still mingle and sign autographs but can't the record label get her a roadie? I think she deserves one. I may just volunteer.

3 Response to "I Had The Blues..."

  1. Anonymous Says:

    Hi Kimberly,

    I caught your blog in an Erin alert I have set up on Google.

    I am Adam Maness' mom, and I want you to know whenever I can I try and help Erin when she sells her CDs. Yes, the group does need a roadie!

    Thanks for your kind words. Erin is just as sweet and nice as she is talented.

    Debra Maness

  2. Kimberly Ann Says:

    Thanks Debra for stopping by. Erin seems so genuine and down to earth. It's nice to know that's true.

    Adam is very talented. We sat right next the piano and it was fun to watch him play.

    His songwriting is amazing. For the record, of the new songs, "Little Garden" was our favorite.

    Thanks again...maybe next time I'll be brave enough to offer my assistance. :)

  3. Anonymous Says:

    Kimberly,

    Little Garden is also my new favorite! Did you hear the story of that song? Remember the huge storm in July that wiped out electric in St. Louis for days? Erin was out walking in it, and when she told Adam the story they wrote that song.

    Erin and the group just returned to St. Louis from New York today. They were mixing the CD of songs from their South Africa trip. The release date is in April, and the songs are wonderful. Mostly hymns and I believe one new song they wrote for the girls at the school there. My email address is dmaness1224@sbcglobal.net. Let me know if you would like a copy and I will send you one.