Sluggers, Saws, Symphonies, and Sticks

I had a very productive Labor Day weekend. I know it’s supposed to be a time of rest and relaxation but it is called “labor” day after all…and labor we did. Okay, so we threw in a little relaxation here and there.

Friday night was another thrilling night as a Royals’ fan. We were ahead 7-0 but no Royals’ fan in their right mind would sit back and think, “we’ve got this one in the bag!” They did win but not without a few tense moments, care of the most consistent bullpen in major league baseball. They’re not good…but they are consistent.

The best part was the seemingly prim and proper grandmotherly lady in front of us who appeared to have had a little too much of the bubbly. She would stand up and shake her booty every time the Royals scored. For those of you keeping track at home, that would be seven booty shakes.

We stayed for Friday night fireworks and stopped at Wendy’s where our tickets were good for two free frosties. Free tickets (thanks dad), free fireworks, AND free frosties.

Saturday (and Sunday), John tackled the “ring saw” beast. It’s hard work cutting through 7 inches of concrete, made all the more difficult by a defective ring saw. The defect was actually a blessing in disguise because John could take it back to the equipment rental place, get a full refund, and have someone else do it. He looked up some tips for using a ring saw and tip #1 was, “contract it out!”. Not to go against the advice of professionals…he’ll do just that!

I spent the time collecting twigs and branches to compliment our “rustic” wedding décor. Don’t worry, we’ll be wearing shoes (for the most part) and using appropriate utensils. John joined the fun after deeming the ring saw officially kapoot. Collecting wedding decorations was not at the top of John’s to-do list this weekend but I appreciate his help.

Sunday night we made our way to Pops in the Park. It’s a free concert (are you sensing a theme?) put on by the Kansas City Symphony every Labor Day Weekend. We packed a picnic…in a real picnic basket! (Aunt Marilyn, I’ve been using the basket you gave me as decoration in my kitchen. Since I’m moving and packing things up, it was finally able to fulfill its purpose of transporting food in style and it worked great!)

Monday, after a half-day of work (hospitals never close you know), my loving and supportive family got together for a “wedding work day”. Mom, Dad, Kelly, John (and Tim who I’m sure did not envision this as part of his “best man” duties) worked on projects with a positive attitude and a witty sense of humor. I so wish I would have had my camera to capture the basement as wedding headquarters and my family enveloped in flowers, ribbons, sticks (part of my favorite wedding project), labels, stamps, and more. This was not my idea. It’s great not to have to ask for help. I so appreciate their willingness to help.

I finished the weekend feeling exhausted but happy…which is so much better than feeling well rested and sad if you ask me.

1 Response to "Sluggers, Saws, Symphonies, and Sticks"

  1. Barrett McLain Says:

    Did Tim put any ribbons in his hair?