Life at the Lodge

So, I kinda skipped over this very monumental moment so it seems rather anticlimactic to tell you that we've moved into the lodge. We really weren't supposed to be there until we received the "temporary permit to occupy", which we got in the mail yesterday.

So...WE LIVE HERE NOW! I can't say we're really "moved in" because right now we live amid boxes, piles, tools, and such. But it's ours, we're here, and boy are we glad.

As you know, living in the country is new for me. There are some things to get used to. Yesterday, we took a walk after dinner and were accompanied by our two dogs and the neighbor's two dogs. Shortly into our walk we ran into the neighbor donkey. He's very cute and little. I didn't have my camera but I'll get a picture soon. He was romping around the field with his goat friend. I could tell they really wanted to join us on our walk but as it turns out...all our companion slots were full. Maybe next time.

Two nights ago, I was doing the dishes. Our kitchen sink faces the front drive (John says I can't call it a "driveway" anymore). There were two women at the end of the drive, facing our house, deep in conversation...probably talking about the people who had taken so long in building this house! That may not seem strange to you, and it isn't really, except that they were on horseback.

Later that evening John called to tell me to go outside and look at the sky. This is what I saw.







A hot air balloon flew (do they fly or float?) right over our house and landed in the field just behind ours. It was much closer than these pictures show. No time to grab the good camera.

Life at the lodge is fun so far. Some days I feel like Carol Ingalls (cooking beef stew while tending to my garden) and other days like Bob Villa (staining doors and trim and sorting lumber).

We're both taking off work the last week of April for our own version of "that home makeover show". We figure if the tv show can build a house in a week. We ought to be able to finish one. I'll keep you posted, hopefully with pictures.

4 Response to "Life at the Lodge"

  1. Anonymous Says:

    :-)

    spring

  2. Anonymous Says:

    Congrats! :)

  3. Anonymous Says:

    You are so funny! I'm so happy for you. Can't wait to come and visit the farm. Can I start calling my driveway, the front drive? It's only about 20 feet long.
    Christi

  4. Anonymous Says:

    Hey, where are you. I am in need of some bloggage from you. Hope you are happily busy. I need your e-mail address, I somehow lost your. Miss you, my favorite Kim!
    C