One Smart Cookie

The drive from daycare to our house every evening is full of interesting conversations about what we learned, what we ate, or whether we slept during naptime. I ask a lot of questions to keep the conversation going. This has become one of my favorite kid stories (you've probably heard me tell it).

Seth: Mommy, when I five, I go to new school?

Me: Well Seth, you'll go to a new school when you start Kindergarten.

Seth: Mommy, when I go to High School?

Me: You'll go to Elementary School first, then Middle School, then High School, then College. (I figured I'd just cut to the chase and get them all listed). After College you get to choose whether you go to more school or get a job.

Seth: I get a job.

Me: Okay. What kind of job would you like to have?

Seth: I be a football player.

Me: Okay. Colin, what kind of job do you want to have?

Colin: I be pilot. Go on airplane.

Seth: Mommy? What we having for dinner? I gonna need double to be big and strong football player.

Me: What you need to do is drink all your milk. Big and strong football players drink their milk (I don't know that to be true but I'll play any angle to get that kid to drink his milk)

Seth: Okay. I want milk for dinner. I be big and strong.

Pause while mommy pretends to pat herself on the back for another successful manipulation of her children.

Colin: I be pilot. I want apple juice.

Later that weekend the boys stayed with my parents for a couple of days. My dad told us Seth was renegotiating most of the weekend, trying to figure out what sport he could play that would allow him to drink apple juice. Grandpa stuck with the milk conspiracy though. And if Seth asks you, I expect you to stick with the plan. Colin on the other hand - has us all figured out.

Colin pretending to drive Grandpa's farm truck. It has nothing to do with the story - except for that look that says, "I'm one smart cookie!"

3 Response to "One Smart Cookie"

  1. KT Says:

    I love those kids.

  2. Tim James Says:

    I dig the newness everywhere, the look, the pics, the posts, the labels, and the pluralization.

    It's not quite a pet pic Friday... or maybe it is.

    Well done, Mamma Kim.

  3. The McKean Family Says:

    They are so cute and I love to hear your stories! :)