Case 081006 - People vs. Cry Baby Inc.

We are such babies! Sometimes people (myself included) can act so spoiled. I present the following evidence for your review.

Exhibit A: On my way out the door yesterday, after a long day of meetings, I stood in line for the shuttle bus to the parking lot. On most days around that time, the shuttle buses are lined up one right after the other. Our parking lot is a few blocks away so the hospital provides a ride to and from. Last night however, there were no buses waiting when I stepped in line. We waited...and waited...and waited some more. People were getting antsy. A few huffed and puffed and stepped out of line to opt for walking instead of waiting. Still waiting...several people got on their cell phones to report to loved ones or babysitters that they were still waiting for the bus and would be late. The bus eventually came around the corner and everyone sighed and mumbled something to the effect of, "Finally!" We all looked around at each other like, "look we made it...we survived." The lady behind me glanced at her watch and said to nobody in particular, "We just stood here for 8 minutes can you believe it took that long."

Exhibit B: I got in my car after my "grueling" 8 minute wait and turned on the radio to hear a broadcaster explaining the delays in airports around the world due to the heightened security measures following the thwarted terrorist plot to blow up airplanes headed for the US. Here are some quotes heard in that broadcast and several others since:

"A man on my flight was asked to discard of his Starbucks coffee. He was pretty upset. I would be too, that's like a $5.00 cup of coffee."

"It's really hard for people to go without their iPods and listen to those talking around them or babies crying."

"In this day and age, people can't be expected to weather transcontinental flights without some form of electronic entertainment; books and conversations are great for some people, but not everyone."

Closing argument: If 8 minutes completely throws your day into a tailspin...if you "can't be expected" to "weather" the temporary hiatus from coffee, your iPod, or other forms of electronic entertainment it is no one's fault but your own. Do not blame the bus driver, airport security, terrorist groups, or Osama.

Stop your cryin' and gain a tad bit of perspective.

Case closed!

3 Response to "Case 081006 - People vs. Cry Baby Inc."

  1. Anonymous Says:

    I can understand seven minutes, but EIGHT? Think about all that you could've gotten done in those eight minutes. The new millenium is lost on you, Kimberly.

  2. Anonymous Says:

    It's a tad ironic to sign the "anonymous said..." post, but nevertheless...I forgot.

    Jenny

  3. Barrett McLain Says:

    PREACH IT SISTER! HALLELUJAH! Whoops, gotta go. I scheduled 8 minutes of spontaneous time, so I gotta go before it's up!

    Barrett "Too Much Time On My Hands" McLain